Gambling Addiction and Treatment
At Smarmore Castle, our gambling addiction programme is based on the 12-step treatment model, combined with CBT. This programme helps gambling addicts to:
- Understand their addiction
- Recognise what they want in place of gambling
- Build self-esteem, assertiveness and impulse control
- Manage any debts and general finances
How Gambling Addiction Therapy Works
CBT helps patients with gambling addiction through their development of SMART goals. This practical theory enables patients to measure their progress through small but significant steps: Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, Time-bound. We aim to walk patients through the following steps:
- To abstain from problem behaviour: alcohol, drugs and gambling
- To work with a debt counsellor to resolve financial issues
- To learn relapse prevention strategies
- To develop a healthy, new lifestyle through a good diet, exercise and creative therapies
- To rebuild broken relationships with family, friends and colleagues
What is Gambling Addiction?
Known as a ‘behavioural addiction’, gambling often leads to catastophic financial difficulties, problems at work, a dysfunctional family life and sometimes suicide. Whether it is lottery tickets, sport or poker, gambling can become compulsive. Please do get in touch if you require any advice on gambling addiction and treatment.
Last updated on clinically assessed 16 April, 2020