Compulsive gambling is a ‘behavioural addiction’ which leads to financial problems, difficulties at work, disruptions in home life and sometimes suicide. All forms of gambling can become addictive, regardless of whether you bet on sports, play online poker, engage in spread betting or go to casinos.If you or a friend or loved one suffers from a gambling addiction, contact us anytime for help.
Specialised Programme for Compulsive Gambling
At Smarmore Castle, a 12 steps approach combined with cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) is used to treat this behavioural addiction. This programme enables patients to:
- Understand problem gambling,
- Find a deeper meaning in life which will fill the void left by gambling,
- Improve impulse control, self-esteem and assertiveness,
- Better manage their finances and debts.
If you or a friend or loved one suffers from a gambling addiction, please contact us now for help. We are available to answer queries 24 hours a day, seven days a week, and can arrange a quick admission onto our gambling addiction rehab programme.
How our Gambling Treatment Programme Works
During our therapy programme for gambling addiction, patients are helped to choose and achieve a set of SMART goals. These allow patients to chart their progress through small but important steps. SMART goals are: Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Relevant, Time-bound. These could be:
- To stop gambling, alcohol and drug use
- To work on financial issues with a debt counsellor
- To learn strategies to prevent relapse
- To maintain a healthy lifestyle with a good diet, exercise and creative therapies
- To repair damaged relationships with family, friends and colleagues
Our expert therapists run Gamblers Anonymous 12-step groups where compulsive gamblers can find a supportive network to discuss their experiences.