Smarmore Castle Private Clinic, near County Armagh, is a residential rehab clinic providing treatment for drug and alcohol addiction and behavioral addictions including gambling. We are located very close to the border between Northern Ireland and the Republic of Ireland, in County Louth, just a one hour drive from County Armagh.
County Armagh Alcohol and Drug Abuse
In 2014, an estimated 170,000 people drank at dangerous levels in Northern Ireland. Over-consumption of alcohol can have dire consequences; alcohol binges accounted for 12,000 admissions to hospital in 2011/12. County Armagh and the southern region of the country had the lowest alcohol consumption rates for the country in 2011. Reflecting this, the County Armagh region had the lowest rate of alcohol-related deaths in 2009.
In 2015/16, among people admitted to drug treatment, the most commonly used drug was cannabis. In the County Armagh region, a third of these patients had used cocaine. Patients from the County Armagh region also reported the highest rate of ecstasy use (13%). Mephedrone was also popular in the County Armagh area, with a fifth of patients having used it before.
Residential Rehab Treatment Clinic, near County Armagh
At Smarmore Castle, our mission is to provide the highest quality and most effective treatment for our patients and those suffering from alcohol, drug and gambling addiction in County Armagh. We receive patients from County Armagh, Northern Ireland, the UK, EU and further afield. We offer many different options for referral and admission.
Admissions for Patients from County Armagh and the Rest of Northern Ireland
Patients from County Armagh and the rest of Northern Ireland can access the addiction rehab treatment at Smarmore Castle Private Clinic as a private patient or through a private healthcare insurance plan.
Contact us for more information on our admissions process.
Our Addiction Treatment Programme
- The addiction treatment model at Smarmore Castle has been developed over 30 years by a world-renowned team of doctors and psychologists. Our residential rehabilitation treatment programme is based on the clinically proven rehab treatment model pioneered by Castle Craig, our partner establishment in Scotland.
- We provide an intensive rehab programme that follows the 12 Steps Model and offers a quick admissions process. On arrival, patients receive a thorough medical assessment and physical examination. They then begin a period of detoxification from alcohol and drugs, under the close supervision of our medical team.
- Our core programme incorporates specialist addiction therapies including individual therapy, group therapy, CBT, Trauma therapy, grief therapy, and family therapy. Dual diagnosis treatment is offered to patients suffering from psychological conditions such as eating disorders and depression, alongside a primary diagnosis of drug and alcohol addiction.
- Our holistic approach to treatment also encompasses complementary addiction therapies, such as hyperbaric oxygen therapy, equine therapy and drumming therapy.
- During their leisure time, patients can enjoy access to our pool, sauna and steam room, gym and sports with our fitness instructor. They can explore the 16 acres of scenic private gardens surrounding Smarmore Castle.
- When the patient completes their treatment, they are provided with a continuing care plan to help ensure their sustained recovery. We continue to support patients after they re-enter their daily lives, with weekly group therapy meetings, and a programme of teletherapy sessions.
Our Location, one hour from County Armagh
Smarmore Castle is situated just one hour from County Armagh, in a stunning, countryside location in County Louth, Republic of Ireland. Patients will find both comfort and privacy in a renovated 14th-century castle, housing excellent facilities including a leisure centre, gym and swimming pool. It is set within 15 acres of scenic landscape, which patients are able to explore in their leisure time.
Alcoholics/Narcotics Anonymous in County Armagh
We recommend you begin your journey to abstinence by seeking self-help through attending Alcoholics Anonymous (AA) and Narcotics Anonymous (NA) meetings. These are organised across Northern Ireland, in County Armagh, Belfast, Derry, and Lisburn, among others. They help people from County Armagh to achieve sobriety through a 12-step programme.
The team at Smarmore Castle is always available to answer questions about our rehab treatment programme, admissions, or funding. If you are from County Armagh and are thinking of entering rehab or if you are the family member, friend or employer of someone who is suffering from an alcohol or drug addiction in County Armagh, please contact us for advice.
Health and Diet at Smarmore Castle
Mealtimes provide an excellent opportunity for patients to socialise with each other as well as providing much needed nutrition. Alcohol and drug abuse damages the body’s organs and impairs cognitive abilities.
A healthy, balanced diet is essential for a patient’s physical recovery. It helps the body to regenerate and heal, as well as boosting energy levels, mental alertness and a sense of well-being.
All the food served at Smarmore Castle is fresh and locally sourced. The meal plan follows whole food dietary recommendations. In addition to three meals, patients are supplied with fresh fruit and healthy snacks throughout the day.
Last updated & clinically assessed 23 March, 2022